Intense workouts can take a toll on your muscles. Eating protein immediately following a workout can enhance muscle recovery.During exercise muscle protein breaks down. Your body requires extra energy and taps into the fuel stored in your muscles known as glycogen. By the end of an intense workout, your muscles are depleted of their glycogen stores and broken down. In order to refill the energy stores, build and repair your muscles, one needs to eat or drink something that is protein-rich within 30 minutes of completing a workout. Additionally, protein consumption can improve muscle building and aid in post-workout recovery.
The following are a few ideas of protein rich snacks to eat after a workout. These options will maximize your exercise benefits and help to maintain lean muscle to aid in weight loss.
- Protein Shakes – banana, one scoop of protein powder, almond milk and hemp seeds
- Quinoa – try it topped with fresh berries and pecans
- Low Fat Cottage Cheese with a side of fruit
- Sandwich on Multigrain Bread – try raw peanut butter, tuna, or lean turkey.
- Egg Whites – Scramble a few with peppers and onions
- Yogurt with chopped almonds
- Handful of Whole Almonds
While your workout is a very important part of each day, choosing to eat protein after your workout is equally as important. This will ensure that you are getting the best results from your workout.