With summer on the horizon, it’s time to just sit back, relax and rest…right? Did you know that summer can be the most inactive season for many families? Read further to find out tips for staying active during the summer.For many people, the summer doesn’t include organized sports and activities, and instead the focus becomes on taking to time to relax and rest causing many families to become less active. While it is important to take time for relaxation, it is equally as important to maintain a healthy lifestyle – even during summer.
There are so many benefits to staying healthy year round. ….
- Better overall health
- Positive self-esteem
- Improved mood
- Healthy sleep patterns
- Increased energy
- Relaxation and reduced stress
So, how can you stay active this summer? Here are a few ideas to keep you and your family healthy and happy during the summer months!
1. Walk or Run – the best thing about summer is the warmer weather. It may be tempting to simply pull out your lounger in the back yard and bask in the sun, but how about going for a walk or jog around the neighborhood. And if heading out with your family, take some time to play at the local playground – play a game of tag or follow the leader. A little time spent being a child is good for the soul!
2. Swim – the summer is short! Take advantage of the warmer months to visit your local outdoor pool and go for a swim. Or even better, plan a day trip to the beach with friends – enjoy a swim, a game of beach volleyball and some time to soak up the sun!
3. Biking – wherever you live, rural or urban, biking is a great way to get around and exercise at the same time. If possible, park the car in the garage and use your bike as your main source of transportation. Not only does this benefit your health, but it saves you money that you would normally spend on fuel for your vehicle.
4. Cut down on ‘screen time’. Spending long hours of sitting in front of the TV or computer increases your risk of weight gain. Find hobbies that get you moving – spend time gardening, build the fence you have wanted for the last few years, walk the dog, help your children to learn new skills such as throwing and catching or have a water fight in the backyard.
5. Combine friends and fitness – Invite a friend to join you on a walk, run or a bike ride. What could be better than quality conversation and great exercise at the same time! And if you need even greater incentive, make your destination the local coffee shop and treat yourselves after you exercise!
In addition to staying in shape this summer, remember to take a few minutes daily to focus on the positive and be filled with gratitude.